Wednesday, February 11, 2015

A Tutorial: The Sweetest Little Thread Catcher...


This is my new hand stitching companion...literally a THREAD CATCHER.  When I am hand stitching, there are little tails of silk thread and snippets of quilting cotton EVERYWHERE...I know things are out of hand when Weasley the cat saunters by with thread and fabric snippets are stuck to his fur coat!

And now, a view of the underside...(this is my favorite Kaffe Fassett fabric in my stash)...



Do you want to learn to make one?  Let me demonstrate the magic...first, I push DOWN with my thumbs on the pleated side...


The bottom pushes out and starts to untwist...


Now there is a cute, little container, open and ready to receive your thread tails...




When I take a pause from stitching, I simply push all my little thread tails to the bottom of the container, hold the rim, and twist the bottom compactly into the rim...ta da!!  The threads are trapped within the compact, little, twisted container.





SO neat and tidy!  I discovered a great video on how to do this on Pinterest, which I will link at the end of this post, but I found that some of the measurements needed to be updated to make it actually come out right...like toilet paper rolls, and so many other things, packaging/product is shrinking while prices stay the same or increase.

The original directions have us make this little gem from "recycled" materials...(a cereal box, leftover batting, and a Pringles potato chip tube are recommended).  I think you could make it from other things, you would just have to adjust the sizes of your materials (and you wouldn't "have to" eat Pringles).  I have saved an empty plastic mayo jar that might work as well...



After gobbling up all the Pringles, wipe the tube (and your clothing) free of crumbs, cut off the lip of the container, and cut a 1/2" slice of the tube.  I used paper scissors, but a nice sharp craft knife might be easier.


Measure the circumference...I found mine to be about 9-1/4".  I added 1/2" to this to get the longer measurement for my rectangle of fabric needed for the body of the thread catcher.  (In the Pinterest video, the circumference measured 9-1/2"...see...things ARE shrinking in the stores...) 


My fabric rectangle measures 8" x 9-3/4" (before I folded over 1/4" on each long side and pressed).  (That's 8" x 9-1/4", plus the extra 1/2" on the longer side.)

The size of the components for the thread catcher bottom are dependent on the size of the Pringles ring.  The box board and batting circles need to be slightly smaller in diameter so that, once covered in fabric, they won't be too tight to to twist, push, and nestle inside the Pringles ring. 

I found this inside size/diameter to be about 2-11/16"...just shy of 2-3/4".   Cut two each of the box board and the batting.

Then I made my two fabric circles a little larger so that I would have room to baste and gather the edges around the box board and batting.  My fabric circles measured 3-1/2" in diameter.



Now I do a running stitch around the edge of each of the two fabric circles...



Then I center a batting circle on the wrong side of the fabric circle...


...followed by a box board circle, covering the batting circle.


Then I pull the gathering thread to surround my batting and box board circles.


I secure this with a couple of stitches and a knot.




Now I slip stitch these two padded circles to each other, wrong sides together, 




Then, I fold my fabric rectangle, right sides together, and stitch along the SHORT side with a 1/4" seam allowance.


Note that the stitching is on the 8" edge of the fabric rectangle.


Now I press the seam open so that it will lie nice and flat.


With right sides still together, I slide my Pringles ring on my tube of fabric and encase the ring as I bring the edges that are pressed under together.



I line up those pressed under edges and pin.


My Pringles ring is now securely located where the fabric tube folds.


I stitch right under the Pringles ring to lock it in a casing.


Ta da!


Then I remove my pins.


I push the inside of the fabric tube out past the Pringles ring.


See how my 1/4" seam is still neatly turned under?  I insert my thread catcher bottom and secure with pins.  The fabric tube will be slightly larger, so you will have to center the bottom as you pin to ease the slight fullness.



Then I slip stitch around, easing the fullness and removing pins as I stitch.


Then I push the bottom through the ring, and into the other open end with the pressed under edge, center, pin, and slip stitch in the same way.




Ta da!


Now it is ready to accept all your thread tails...


When I stop stitching, I push all the thread mess to the bottom of my thread catcher...


...and gently twist and collapse, trapping the thread tails.





SO easy and satisfying.  And it is so compact and small that it will fit nicely in my stitching bag.

Here is a the video I found on Pinterest.  She really lays out the steps very nicely.

AngiesBitsandPieces

Note:  I found my set of Karen Kaye Buckley large circles very helpful...there is one exactly the size of the fabric circle, and I used another to make my box board/batting template and just trimmed my template a little smaller.

In stitches,
Teresa  :o)

56 comments:

  1. This is so cute Teresa - thank you for the link to it and all your extra detail - I'll definitely be back :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure beats an old WalMart plastic bag! Thanks for sharing the details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH-MY-GAWSH that is just too cute. I'm going to run out for some Pringles this afternoon and get one made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pictures are really clear. I have my first time reatreat in 2 months, I completely need that !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! Your step by steps made it clear and do-able!

    ReplyDelete
  6. BTW your catcher is much cuter than the one of the video!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cute! Wonderful fabric and pictures showing how to make this. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made one of these using the inside of a 3 inch embroidery hoop. I like your pringle's tube better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH LOVE THIS! Thank you so much for sharing...........what fabulous gifts these would make!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to make this but first a trip to the store is in order. Thanks to you and Angie. I read earlier that you will be moving. I wish you well as you face these new challenges in your life. I trust there will be some sewing to help you transition so I hope you'll have a chance to post occasionally so we can follow your progress. You and your famiy will be remembered in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your tutorial is a great help in understanding how this goes together. What a handy tool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing...that is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. very nice! Think I need to drink another cup of coffee before I try this at home!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did a beautiful job of explaining this. I will need to come back and go over it more slowly. Great idea. Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness Teresa, I love this and will have to make one. Thank you for sharing!
    *hugs*
    Tazzie
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. so simple yet so sweet! Thanks for sharing. I Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh thank you for sharing this wonderful tutorial... I must sew that!!! Fallen in love with this on the first sight! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing. I love that it is smaller than what I usually use for a thread catcher.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, my, gosh, Teresa, this is genius!! And with Kaffe, it is gorgeous genius!! Thank you so much for the wonderful idea and the even more wonderful tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is genius! Thanks for sharing -- I will be making one in the very near future.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love it!!!

    Great tutorial, thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. perfect tutorial, great pictures.
    Thank you so much for sharing!
    Liebe Grüsse
    Bente
    in Germany

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is soooo cute. Love the KF fabric, too : )

    ReplyDelete
  24. Super gute Anleitung, sehr gut bebildert.
    Danke fürs Teilen.
    Liebe Grüsse
    Uta

    ReplyDelete
  25. Danke für die tolle Anleitung!
    LG, Christa

    ReplyDelete
  26. Eine tolle Anleitung, Danke
    LG
    Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this thread catcher!! I am going to make some for my quilting friends as little gifts!! Thanks for sharing a tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi, I love this tutorial, thank you for sharing it. I am going to make one. And I too, love Kaffe fabrics. It will be beautiful.

    Can you tell me what keeps the little container from falling down, or just listing? I did not detect anything in the directions that would account for the catcher to be as stiff or straight as it appears to be.

    Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just made one following the directions exactly and it does sit up straight without any interfacing or stabilizer. I used just a regular quilting cotton.

      Delete
  29. I got one for my birthday from my Quilting Sister. Thanks for the perfect tutorial. Now i have got the idea how that magic thing works and how to do it. Thanks for sharing! Hugs Silvia from Austria

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a wonderful idea and such a good tutorial in making it! I love the fact that it's a handy, portable size and will be so useful as well as simple to create!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I've made several as gifts for my quilting/sewing friends. I did reinforce the ring by hot-glueing thin plastic strips to the inside and outside. It may be overkill - but those rims are really sturdy now! Tx for the tute!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I made one of these a couple of years ago the only difference from yours is that the directions called to use a small wooden embroidery hoop for the top rim. It makes a very sturdy edge and will last for a long time! They are very handy!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Why not use one of those rubber bracelets everyone is wearing for the ring and a piece of plastic (milk carton, tracing plastic, etc. . .) that why they could be washed!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Very fun, will have to give it a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  35. How great is this?! Crazy Birds Studio just posted a strange photo on Freshly Pieced and I had to see what it was. I got sent to you for the tute--sure glad I checked you out--thanks! This will make such great little gifts--and one for me, of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Just finished making my first thread catcher with your great tutorial. Not bad for the first time but I had a few glitches. My ring wouldn't fit inside the tube and I think I may have sewn the wrong ends together, the measurements are so close it's easy to mix up the long and short side, therefore, the tube around the circles was very tight and I had to snip the band inside so it would fit. In the end, it works but has a very tight fit. I wasn't sure what fabric to use and thought yours looked heavy so I used duck (?). That may also contribute to the tightness. The only thing I would want to see different on the tutorial is to use a thread that stands out more, my eyesight isn't what it used to be and had to strain to see the blue thread. Otherwise, great tutorial! I plan to make more of these.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I used a ring cut from a small milk bottle. When I twisted it, the fabric didn't close up like yours. I think if the ring is bigger then the tube has to be longer to accommodate for the extra girth. Guess I will have to force myself to make another one. lol

    ReplyDelete
  38. I have the pattern but have not made it yet thanks for any added hints that will make it easier for me to do. I also have the same iron and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  39. How cute is that! Love the concept and execution. Perfect gift for sewing friends.

    I prefer written instructions to You Tube. Glad if found this page.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Perfect instructions, step by step...Love it, thankyou so much.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi I just post to ask you'll folks if I want to do this project but you don't have any Pringles container nor neither ringline whatever it is Or is called.What is the best substitute to do this project to make it collapsible(fabric bag; just asking. I look forward to making some of these soon. Would cardboard ring( I mean taking cardboard pieces & form in a circle) work also; just asking. I look forward to your reply as soon as possible. Thanks for sharing this tutorial btw.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I made one yesterday using the inner ring of a small (4") embroidery hoop. Worked great!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Sooooo cute but it appears to be involved.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Brilliant ! I love your fabric by the way !

    ReplyDelete
  45. OMG! This tutorial is fantastic! So detailed. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thanks yu fr yur pattern and how to do. I now have anther thing t make for my sewing friends.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Almost done with mine, but it's bedtime. Thanks for the great tutorial. I had a bit of trouble because I measured wrong. Totally my own fault. Your tutorial is great!

    ReplyDelete
  48. thank you for the step by step. I like it better than having to pause a youtube video. Great tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  49. thank you. will give it a go this week as still in lockdown.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I found that a 3" USPS mailing tube cut into 3/4" slices works as well as a Pringle can.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I’m so excited to have found your amazing tutorial to make this beautiful little threadcatcher. Can’t wait to get started. Thank you for your generosity, sharing this lovely project.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Thank you for the tutorial. Only thing that confused me was the original picture of the cut fabric. You show, and say, press 1/4" on the long side but your measurements then would be 7 1/2 x 9 7/8 (not 8 x 9 1/4").

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the quilt cave...I love your feedback!

I am sorry, but you need a Google account/Profile to pose a question or leave a comment. That is very easy to get (FOR FREE) at Google.com.

Of course, you can click on my email and contact me there any time!

I am no longer able to accept comments from Anonymous readers...too much weird spam!